Spotify is one of the most used music streaming platforms. But some users are facing error code 4 and confused about what does error code 4 mean on Spotify. Recently users have been complaining about Spotify going on and offline over and over again. The error is known as Spotify Error code 4 and it is often caused due to slow or unstable internet connection. If you are on a stable high-speed internet connection, you can encounter Spotify Offline Error Code 4. If you are looking forward to learning how to fix Spotify error code 4 then you are at the right place. Here are the 5 most easy fix for Spotify Error code Windows 10.
Method 1: Spotify Error Code 4 Fix Through DNS
In most cases, Spotify Error code 4 is caused by DNS server trouble. Sometimes Spotify fails to recognize the DNS server provided by your internet service provider. If Spotify can’t read the DNS server it can’t load the internet resource properly. The Spotify Error Code 4 Mac and Windows requires you to switch to Google DNS instead of your ISP’s DNS server. The ways of changing DNS on Windows and Mac are different so follow the steps below on how to Fix Spotify Error Code Mac and Windows.
- Right Click on the Network Icon in the Taskbar and select “Open Network and Sharing Center”
- Choose your primary network connection under the tab “Connections”
- Click on “Properties” then double-click on “IPV4 Protocols”
- Tick off the option of “Use the Following DNS server addresses” and input DNS Addresses mentioned:
- Preferred DNS Server: 18.104.22.168 & Alternate DNS Server: 22.214.171.124.
- Press Ok to apply new changes and then relaunch Spotify on your computer to see if the error is fixed.
- Go to “System Preferences” and click on “Network”.
- In “Network” settings, click on “Advanced” and then “DNS”.
- In the “DNS Servers” section Click on the “+” button to replace any listed addresses or add the Google IP addresses at top of the list.
- Type in the same DNS address as Windows.
- Click “OK” to confirm, Restart the Spotify app, and the Spotify Error Code 4 issue should be fixed.
Method 2: Change Firewall Settings for Spotify Error Code 4 Fix
A lot of websites are blocked by your computer’s firewall settings. If Spotify is in the list of blocked websites on your computer then you will encounter Spotify Error code 4 Windows 10 every time you try to launch Spotify.
- Launch the “Windows Defender Security Center” from the taskbar.
- Click on “Firewall & Network Protection” and then click on “Allow an App or Feature Through Windows Firewall”.
- Click on the “Change Settings” button and scroll down to find “Spotify.exe”. Tick the checkbox if it’s not ticked.
- Click OK to apply the changes.
- Navigate to “System Preferences” and click on “Security and Privacy”.
- Select “Firewall” option and click the lock icon on the bottom left part of your screen. Put in your Admin Password to unlock it so that you can change the Firewall settings.
- Choose the “Advanced” option and then the “+” button. You’ll be redirected to the folder that stores all your “Applications”, select Spotify app from the list. Then click the “Add” button to allow incoming connections from Spotify on Mac.
- Click on “OK/Apply” to change the settings.
Method 3: Allow Spotify in Your Antivirus List
If you don’t know what does error code 4 mean on Spotify and you have changed the above-stated settings, then you should review your Antivirus exception list. Sane as Firewall, some Anti-Virus software can cause Spotify Error Code 4 Fix. To Fix Spotify error code 4 windows 10, you have to get Spotify off your Anti-Virus block list.
Every Anti-Virus program has its own settings on how to remove the app from the blocked list. Change the settings and you can Fix Spotify Offline Error Code 4.
Method 4: Spotify Error Code 4 Fix Via Proxy Services
To fix Spotify Error Code 4 Windows 10 and Mac you have to Modify your Proxy Settings that are in the app. There are only 3 steps to do so, follow the steps listed below:
- Start Spotify desktop Client on your computer. Go to “Settings”.
- Scroll down to find the “Show Advanced Settings” button and click on it.
- Once you have opened the “Proxy Settings” click on “Auto Detect” and choose “HTTP” from the drop-down menu. Click on “Update Proxy” to apply the modification.
Method 5: Reinstall Spotify App & Backup Spotify Playlist
In normal cases, Spotify Error Code 4 Fix can be made through all the methods listed above. In the rare case, it doesn’t happen and you need another method to solve the Spotify Offline Error Code 4, you have to go to the last resort and uninstall and Reinstall Spotify from your computer.
Before you remove the Spotify app from your computer, we suggest you make a backup of all your playlists. If you have subscribed to Spotify Premium, it will be easy for you to backup your Spotify playlist by downloading them offline.
Final Take: Spotify Error Code 4 Mac/Windows
In the article, we have mentioned all the ways you can fix the “Spotify Offline Error Code 4”. Whether you are using Spotify or Spotify Kids App on Windows or Mac, these methods will definitely help you stream music without any interference. If nothing works, the last method is definitely the best option for you.